Monday, April 18, 2011

Pinwheels



I think I've caught the quilting bug...perhaps it is because I listen to so many quilting podcasts, or it could be the recent discovery of a quilting shop in the area that is so very quaint and nice! (if you are ever in the New Orleans area, check out The Quilted Owl...well worth the trip!)

Whatever the source, I have indeed got the preverbal bee in the preverbal bonnet. (sorry, I've been watching a lot of Psych, and I start to talk funny when I do that - there is random fact #8 about me, to follow up on yesterdays post...)

So, where were we...ah, yes, quilting.


I made my first pinwheels!


I used scraps from shirts I have turned into aprons.  Hand quilting was going to be how these were sewn together, but I was very impatient and only had a small window of time before the hubby and baby got home, so, the machine it was...



I've seen buttons/widget (what are those things really called?) about The Process Pledge, and I think it's a very neat idea - so I'm going to try to remember to take more pictures during the actual making.
Oh, and multi-colored Christmas lights (who are we kidding here folks, these are YEAR ROUND lights) are my      F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E (random fact #9, I'm on a roll here!) (and you thought this was going to be about quilting...)


Not perfect, but also not too shabby for my first try.  I love the colors together.  
That is what I think it so fun about using vintage/thrifted materials - there is no buying a whole line together, or coordinating fabrics.  You just have to make it up as you go along.


So there I was, with 2 random and slightly imperfect blocks.  I am a function person, so it's difficult for me to make something just for practice.  I need to "make" something.  
Enter in scraps of a vintage sheet....and hello coasters!


I also machine quilted.  And didn't snip any threads in my impatience.  Well, lesson learned.

What?  A picture of the finished project, you ask?  Hmmm.  Of course I don't have one yet (picture, that is, the project is finished).  This is where the boys came home.  

I'm afraid you'll just have to stay tuned until tomorrow - 

No comments:

Post a Comment